Thursday, March 24, 2011

Outdoor Classroom

March 24, 2011

 

The weather turned warm about 4 days ago and ever since then I've been gazing longingly at the kids playing in the schoolyard, on the street, and out in the fields. 

 

I think there is an unwritten rule that once you turn 15, you are mandatorially excused from sports. Since I'm past that threshold, I sit painfully green with envy.  "Why am I stuck in a skirt and blouse while they run and laugh in their little rubber boots?"

 

Bottom line: I'm sick of playing grown-up all the time… I wanna steal that soccer ball and score my own goal!

 

Well, today I re-wrote the rules.  My 5th grade neighbor was out playing with her little sister.  She greeted me as I walked passed and I sneakily weaseled my way into a game of catch.  Other kids drifted into the street and catch turned to volleyball, which evolved into soccer and basketball (an empty vodka bottle marked the free throw line). 

 

The day's street games drew a little more attention than usual… probably because of the 23-year-old teacher passing the ball as if she we just another 5th grader.  But they can stare if they want.  This was highly educational.  All the neighbor kids are now fluent in English.

 

"GOAL!"

2 comments:

  1. Yes ball sports teach lateral spin when played on a flat surface, try juggling inside a cone!

    ReplyDelete