Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lessons in Life

June 19, 2011

 

I consider myself many things, but "domestic" isn't really a title I can boast. However, last week I moved out of my host family's home and into a teacher's guesthouse.  That means it is now my responsibility to cook and clean and generally care for myself like a big girl.  Oh boy… this is gonna be a bit of a challenge.  In a week alone, this is what I've learned:

 

  1. Milk goes sour in 2 days time if you don't have a refrigerator.
  2. Pasta noodles are darn cheep, but apricots taste way better.
  3. You can't bake cookies on a stove (I don't have a working oven either.)
  4. It's a really good thing my mom taught me to fry a chicken starting with the whole chicken because I'll probably never find frozen chicken breasts at the bazaar- but I have some rudimentary knowledge of how to cut the thing whole.
  5. If you cook with garlic, it keeps flies out of your house at night.
  6. When they don't have the correct change at the shop, they will give you boxes of matches to make up the difference.  I LOVE THIS!!!  When you use a gas stove, matches are infinitely valuable!

 

All this and it's only been a week… good gracious! Think of where I'll be in a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment