Sunday, May 29, 2011

Haiku

May 24, 2011

 

A year or three ago, my family was on vacation and my mom told us every girl could pick one activity and the whole family would participate.  We were all adult-ish people by this time, but I don't think it ever crossed our minds that we were strategizing vacation just like we did when we were eight.

 

The suggestions were all pretty standard until Corri proposed that we all compose haikus.  I remember thinking that sounded like a far cry from fun.  Good thing I didn't complain out loud because I would have had to insert my foot in my mouth.  It was hilarious and wonderful. 

 

Since that time, the occasional opportunity has presented itself in which the only way to fully express myself has been through those 17 syllables of verse.  This is my Shakespearean masterpiece for the night:

 

Midnight Run

 

Phone falls in outhouse

Three parts scatter in the dark

Searching hands feel pee.

No comments:

Post a Comment