Monday, May 2, 2011

A Pot of Tea

April 23, 2011

 

A school principal once asked me what I liked about Kazakhstan.  Within seconds I answered, "tea." He looked surprised, and maybe my response seemed a little snide at first. But if you've grown up in a tea-drinking culture, I think sometimes it's easy to overlook what tea really entails. It is a part of every phase of your day and life.  So when I say I love tea, it is not that I particularly care for the leaves you put in the teapot or the scalding sensation of liquid assaulting my tongue.  I mean I love the whole culture that has been permeated by tea.

 

I love seeing neighbors in the street and being invited in for tea.  I love coming home after a long day at work and pausing for a cup of tea.  I love, love, LOVE sitting down with friends and talking over a cup of tea.  To me, tea is a sign of hospitality, a calming moment, and a gesture of friendship.

 

Last week, I was sitting with some young teachers at lunch.  We have seen each other in the halls for months, but we never talked until yesterday.  To be honest, I wasn't sure they liked me, but I didn't want to eat alone, so I asked to join them.  In true Kazakh style, they welcomed me whole-heartedly.  As the conversation unfolded, I was amazed at my good fortune to be sitting with these people.  Their faces will never show it in the halls of the school, but they are filled with good spirits and a genuine energy.  Lunch ended but the conversation carried on as we poured more tea.

 

What started as a "get to know you" session turned into young women telling me life stories.  I heard about dating and what it's like to be a daughter-in-law in Kazakhstan. They told me about abusive husbands and being single moms.  We talked about dreams for the future and the struggles that come in getting to those dreams.  I only just met these women, but as we drained the teapot they shared their stories- some joyful, others tragic.

 

Over and over, I continue to be amazed at how much you can learn simply by listening.  And I can't say "thank you" enough to these women for their company and friendship, and for sharing a pot of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment