Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Taxi!

November 29, 2010

 

Man, today I got ripped off by a taxi driver.  I HATE when that happens. 

 

Taxis are weird in Kazakhstan.  They aren't yellow or checkered.  They aren't registered with any companies.  Basically, if you want to BE a taxi driver, you just get a car and start driving around.    If you want a taxi RIDE, you go to the side of the road and stick out your hand at any passing car.  Basically, you hitchhike.  It sounds really bad, I know.  Before I left America, I was thinking, "Oh gosh, hitchhiking.  That's dangerous!"  But now that I'm here I realize it's really just the designated taxi drivers that stop.  Average Joe in his car will drive right past you. 

 

As for money, it's a pretty set rate for anywhere you want to go.  Everyone knows the rate and you just pay accordingly.  No questions asked.

 

After work today, I decided to go to the bazaar.  The taxi driver asked where I was from… because one look at me proves I'm not Kazakh and as soon as I open my mouth, they can guess I'm not Russian.  People are always kind to me, and I've never been taken on a price before.  But either this guy didn't have change or he was playing me a fool since I'm foreign.  I KNOW the taxi should have been 30 tenge, but the driver took my 50 tenge piece and didn't give me change. 

 

I should have demanded change, but some taxi drivers I like and some aren't worth the effort.  This guy was the latter.  I just gave him the money and left.  But now I feel cultural defeat.  Darn you taxi driver!

1 comment:

  1. When my brother was in KZ, I sent him into a magazine to get a bottle of water. He came out and I was like, "how much was it." He said, "ummm... I think she took 5000 tg. Is that about right?" 5000 TENGE!!!!! I still make fun of him for that! -Tobin

    ReplyDelete