Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Recipe for Success

January 27, 2011

 

I found the key to a successful English club. 

 

Last week I twisted my 9th graders' arms to come to my English club.  At first, enthusiasm was tepid, but when they walked in an the boys saw some of the pretty girls from a neighboring village suddenly even my least motivated learners were eager to show off their fluency.  Everyone was chatty and left in a twitter.

 

This week, the pretty girls didn't come.  No one tried to show off their English skills and my dear 9th grade students were some of the first out the door.  After all, what's the point in English club if you can't get the chica's digits?

 

Well, I learned my lesson. If you want an active club, first invite the pretty girls.  If they come, the 9th grade boys will follow and suddenly what used to be a lackluster gathering has evolved into one electrifying English party. 

 

It's nice to know some things are universal.  Teenage boys, for example. J  

No comments:

Post a Comment