Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Zoo

January 24, 2011

 

I now know what it feels like to be a monkey in the zoo.  The family I live with owns a little shop that was built right off the kitchen.  Day and night people tap on the door asking for bread, milk, and cigarettes.  Well, tonight as I sat down for a glass of milk a new request echoed through the shop and into the kitchen: "We came to see the American." Of course, my ever-hospitable host mother let them in!!!  Apkie (Auntie), we don't know these people!  Why did you just let them in your house?!

 

I sat and I was a good little monkey.  I ate my banana, did a few tricks, and answered their questions with a polite smile.  After twenty minutes, they were on their way. Then the monkey got to go back to her room to plan tomorrow's lessons.

 

It's fun being in the zoo, and at least I'm a monkey- an exhibit people actually want to see.  That's much better than being a lizard in the reptile house where everyone just walks by and doesn't notice. But after hours it's nice when the visitors go home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment