Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To Me, It’s an Adventure…

January 16, 2011

 

For the past five months I've told you about my exotic adventures abroad.  I'm sure plenty more of those will follow, but my day today gave me a startling reality check.

 

Last week my friend's mom was in a car accident.  For the driver of the car, it was fatal.  My friend's mom was hospitalized and I visited her today.  For someone who is young and healthy, two years here can seem like a glorious expedition.  But today I set foot in a dirty, poorly lit hospital.  The doors to each room were flimsy and people popped their heads in randomly.  My friend's mom did not have a hospital gown.  She wore her own clothes.  And a broken leg was suspended in the air using a coat rack and a rusted piece of machinery acting as a counter-weight.  Heating and cooling was unreliable and I wondered at the professional status of the people in the scrubs.

 

I've heard (and voiced) plenty of complaints about the sterile hospital environment in America.  But today I longed to see fluorescent lights and smell that chemical-clean hospital aroma.  The thermostat is set at a comfortable 68 degrees and each patient has access to every modern convenience the 21st century can provide.

 

For two years, I'm living out an amazing adventure here.  I observe and partake in all sorts of cultural eccentricities.  Then I can go back to the life I know and to which I'm well accustomed.  But for most people, this isn't like a movie where you ogle over the extraordinary contrast, then walk out of the theater.  This is life. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope your friends Mom is doing all right. Thanks for the reality check.

    ReplyDelete